Your Life Belongs to You: A True Story About the Birth of the United States, written by Charlotte Cushman, is a history book for children. The book explains America’s early history, why the idea of individual rights was unique, and why this idea is the foundation of everything we consider to be “American”.
Your Life Belongs to You: A True Story About the Birth of the United States Product Review – Book Basics
- Age Range: 4 – 8 years
- Grade Level: Preschool – 3
- Paperback: 82 pages
- Product Dimensions: 8 x 0.2 x 10 inches
- Language: English
Per the author – if you read the book to pre-schoolers, only read a few pages each day or as much as they can absorb, then the next day verbally review it before going on to the next pages. Reading the entire book in a day would overwhelm them with too much information.
Your Life Belongs to You: A True Story About the Birth of the United States Product Review – What Do I Like About This Book?
- This book is for children, but adults will enjoy it too.
- It’s educational – for your kids and for you. I have to admit, I’ve forgotten a lot of early American history. For instance, I didn’t know that the difficulties with Britain started in 1750 – decades before the defeat of the British army in 1783 – or that the Boston Massacre was started when colonists threw snowballs at British soldiers.
- It’s inspirational.
From the book – They all stood in the field, the French in their blue uniforms with plumes in their hats, the British in their red uniforms, and the Americans, who on this day were triumphant at last, stood without uniforms. They stood there with bloody rags on their feet, torn pants and hunting shirts, filthy hats, bruises and scars on their skin. Yet they stood tall, proud and silent with their rifles at their sides. They had just become victorious over the greatest army on earth.
- The book highlights the importance of tenacity.
The captain of the British ship asked him (John Paul Jones) if he was ready to give up. Jones shouted back, I have not yet begun to fight! He hadn’t either. The battle ended with the British captain giving up.
- The book also highlights the importance of wit.
George Washington tricked the British into thinking he and his troops were going to attack New York, but instead, they blocked the British at Yorktown. The British could not get out of Yorktown. They were trapped.
- The subject matter offers many opportunities for discussion.
- The story is followed by suggested activities and two appendices, one listing a detailed timeline, the other a question and answer game. This adds to the educational (and fun) aspect of the book.
- The book is written in a voice that kids can appreciate. For instance –
People were getting tired of obeying kings. They thought they were bossy. All kids relate to “bossy!
Another example – There were no houses or schools or stores. The people would have to build and make everything they needed in order to live.
And yet another example – The Americans loved to drink tea, but they weren’t going to pay to drink the tea and that that tax! No way!
- The book touches on Pocahontas – and the power of a child. This is inspiring for kids – especially for girls.
- I like the format of the pages – there is very little text on each page which makes it easy to read to kids/and easy for kids to read to you.
- The font is large, which again, makes reading with children a breeze.
- Every other page has an illustration or color photograph of the narrative. Kids (and parents) love pictures! I do wish the pictures included an explanation – the painter, where the original painting can be seen, etc.
- BTW – it gets FIVE stars on Amazon!
Your Life Belongs to You: A True Story About the Birth of the United States Product Review – In Closing
The United States of America was the first country to protect the rights of the people and to be free of kings. It was a new country with a new idea, the idea of freedom, the idea that your life belongs to you and to no one else. Not to your neighbors, not to a king, not to any government, but to you.
About the Author
Did you like our Your Life Belongs to You: A True Story About the Birth of the United States Product Review? We really enjoyed writing it for you. You can check out our other reviews at https://www.howtohomeschool.net/curriculum-reviews
- Product Review - Your Life Belongs to You: A True Story About the Birth of the United States
Please add your email address and we'll send you free homeschooling curriculum, resources & inspiration each month!