Reading Eggs offers a variety of online, research-based, interactive, one-on-one, learn-to-read programs for kids 2-13 years of age. These programs (see below) include 120 lessons, thousands of interactive activities, motivating rewards, songs, and more.
Reading Eggs makes reading fun!
Using the five essential keys to reading success, Reading Eggs focuses on a core curriculum of phonics and phonemic awareness, sight words, vocabulary, comprehension, and reading for meaning.
In case you’re wondering, the five essential keys to reading success include the following
- Phonemic awareness – children learn the necessary listening skills to become aware that speech is made up of sounds and that these sounds make words, syllables and phonemes.
- Phonics – each letter of the alphabet is introduced in its own lesson with a focus on reinforcing letter-sound relationships and highlighting the alphabetic principle.
- Fluency – children develop the rapid word recognition skills essential for reading fluency, including learning to instantly recall crucial sight words that make up 50% of elementary level books.
- Vocabulary – new words are introduced with visual support to provide context and increase word knowledge and retention.
- Comprehension – reading for meaning is the end goal of Reading Eggs. The program includes over 2,000 e-books, each with their own comprehension quiz.
Check out a video here
You can try a free sample lesson here.
AND you can register to start a FREE trial.
Upon signing up, your child should take the free reading placement test that determines where your child should start in the program. This pre-test is VERY helpful.
More on the Reading Eggs learn-to-read process
Kids learn essential reading skills. Children complete animated online lessons where they learn essential reading and phonics skills. The variety of activities within each lesson provides the repetition necessary for the skills to become part of the child’s long term memory. And children can repeat the online lessons as many times as they need to reinforce key learning concepts
Read books online. Children gain confidence by reading online books that only contain words they have already studied in the program. There are over 2,000 leveled books in the Reading Eggs program.
Earn rewards. Children earn golden eggs as rewards for the progress they make. They can use these eggs to buy fun reward games and items for their avatar or online house. Children can also earn certificates that can be printed out.
Complete quizzes. After 10 lessons, children complete a quiz. This provides you with a report of what your child is learning.
Why is Reading Eggs a good fit for homeschoolers?
- 91% of homeschool parents using Reading Eggs have seen a noticeable improvement in their child’s reading skills. That’s a pretty amazing number.
- Reading Eggs was developed by a team of elementary educators with 30+ years teaching experience. You can trust it. You can feel comfortable using it in your home.
- You don’t have to guess what your child needs to learn. The program starts with a reading pre-test – and the program places your child automatically, depending on the results.
- Once placed, your child follows the Reading Eggs “map” of lessons – so your child is learning everything in the correct order – and not missing a thing.
Here are the test results for my kids, ages 4 and 7. Lynn, my 4-year-old knows her letters, but can’t read many words yet.
My son James is 7 and reads pretty well.
As a result of his pre-test, this is James’ program.
Notice his avatar – he was able to personalize it. He chose a robot theme – while my daughter chose a fish-like theme.
- There is a Reading Eggspress homeschool literacy program. Key features include:
- My Lessons – over 200 comprehension lessons which cover five broad levels equivalent to school grades 1 to 6. Learn more about My Lessons.
- The Stadium – your child can compete against students from around the world or against the computer with four contests that tests skills in spelling, vocabulary, usage, and grammar.
- English Skills – focuses on common spelling rules, generalizations, and strategies using a combination of teaching videos, engaging online activities and games, with printable worksheets and assessment tests. Learn more about English Skills.
- The Library – home to over 2,000 e-books, each with their own comprehension quiz.
- Other homeschool parents really like Reading Eggs.
- The lessons and activities are carefully paced to ensure your child makes progress.
- There are assessment tests at the end of each map (a set of lessons) to ensure children have retained what they have learned in the lessons.
- Homeschool parents have access to hundreds of full-color activity sheets that correspond with the lessons in the program, printable certificates, and more.
- A comprehensive dashboard details your child’s progress through the program, including how many lessons they have completed, books they have read, their estimated reading age, and what score they achieved on each end-of-map quiz.
FYI – Here is what we did today.
Lynn practiced the letter M today – little m and capital M.
James practiced all kinds of things today!
Our Reading Eggs Product Review – What do I like about Reading Eggs?
- It works!
- The quantity of resources! There are hundreds of online reading lessons and thousands of e-books in the Reading Eggs library (pictured below).
- Children love it – at least mine do! They like the games, songs, golden eggs and other rewards.
- The online reading lessons are easy to follow and they are self-paced.
- The program is completely interactive.
- There’s lots of repetition (in a good way).
- The audio is very good.
- The graphics are cute and very colorful. I really like the graphics.
- When children start the program, they complete a placement quiz to ensure they are starting at the correct reading level.
- After that, they are given a program (map) of how to proceed, and everything is automatic.
- I really like this progression. My kids are learning what they should – and in the right order.
- Parents can access detailed progress reports to see how their kids are doing.
- Also available to parents – hundreds of downloadable activity sheets that correspond with the lessons in the program. I included links to the letter M sheets previously.
- Extras! I’m a sucker for coordinating puppets!
- A free trial. And a money-back guarantee. I appreciate a free trial that’s two weeks in length – so I can really, truly try a product out. And when a company backs their product with a money-back guarantee, that tells me they believe in and stand by their product.
- MATHSEEDS! When you purchase Reading Eggs, you get access to their math program too! Woo Hoo!
- Mathseeds teaches kids aged 3-9 math and problem solving skills. As with Reading Eggs, Mathseeds combines highly structured lessons with fun motivational elements that keep kids engaged and enthused about learning.
- Good customer service – follow up e-mails, etc.
We really love Reading Eggs! 🙂
Did you like our Reading Eggs product review? We really enjoyed writing it for you. You can check out our other reviews at https://www.howtohomeschool.net/curriculum-reviews
- Our Reading Eggs Product Review